I am blessed to be surrounded by so many lovely friends who are also experts in their chosen fields. Leonie Wright is a Nutrition Coach and published author. After discovering and following a healthy eating programme in The Netherlands, Leonie and her husband experienced considerable health improvements and it convinced her that many more people could benefit in the same way. It showed her how you can be healthy through eating the right foods. Leonie brought this program to the UK and has helped endless people to improve their health.
I asked Leonie for some tips to help those of us who have a tendency to overindulge during the festive period, so we can reduce the damage we might otherwise do. Who wants to end up feeling sluggish and ill? Not me I want to start 2017 feeling FABULOUS!.
It’s not unusual for the average Brit to gain up to half a stone over the festive period but it doesn’t need to be that way. Plenty of traditional foods are healthy: turkey, salmon, sprouts, satsumas and many others are very good for us. Remember the Pareto Principle or the 80/20 rule and you can’t go wrong. Eat healthily for 80% of the time and let yourself go for the other 20%!
So here are Leonie’s Top Ten Tips on how to get through the festive period and eat healthily for at least 80% of the time:
1. Have a healthy breakfast. Good choices are smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, a vegetable omelette, yoghurt with seeds or fruit or porridge made with water. It will keep you going all morning and prevent you from wanting unhealthy snacks.
2. Avoid processed convenience foods. If you really fancy a bag of crisps then go for it, but pick the one that has the simple ingredients such as vegetables and olive oil.
3. Drink plenty of water. Have a glass before every meal and you will eat less. Your body is less compelled to store fat when you are regularly washing away the “waste” that accumulates from drinking alcohol or eating sugary treats.
4. Don’t eat too much food at one time. If you are going to have a couple of mince pies for lunch then make that your lunch and don’t have a turkey sandwich as well.
5. Save your cheating for a meal and enjoy a delicious dessert, if that is what you love.
6. Don’t eat too many carbohydrates. Every time you eat a carbohydrate your body will produce insulin to get your blood sugar level back to normal. Insulin is also known as the fattening hormone. It will make sure that any surplus glucose that is still in the body will transfer into fat. Fancy a chocolate? Pick the high quality one with more than 70% cocoa.
7. Don’t pick at leftovers and don’t eat anything you are not fussed about.
8. Don’t eat everything in sight – eat what you really love only. Is that white bread at the start of a meal worth it? Is it really that tasty?
9. Keep exercising rather than lounging on the couch the whole day. Stay active and your chances of putting on weight will diminish. You will stay supple and in shape; it will benefit your health.
10. Enjoy the festive season and promise me not to go on a diet in the New Year. 90-95% of diets fail in the long term. If you anticipate putting on weight in December, and you decide beforehand to go on a diet in January, you give yourself permission to eat everything you want. Before you know it, you will have put on 4-5Kg rather than the 2Kg you allowed yourself. It is far better to change your lifestyle if you want to do something about being healthier, fitter and slimmer!
To find out more about Leonie Wright visit her web site at http://www.eatwright.co.uk/ or why not connect with her on Facebook? https://www.facebook.com/EatWrightforyourHealth/?pnref=lhc
She’s the person to connect with if you have a health condition that is affected by your weight.
Huge hugs and here’s to a great festive season and healthy start to 2017!
Jill is an Independent Consultant with Arbonne International and the views expressed are her own based on Internet research. Jill is not a scientist, nutritionist or skincare expert but is passionate about helping people understand more about how to look after their body, skin and about the ingredients in Health and Wellness products. If you would like to know more please complete the form in the sidebar and I will send you regular information and blog posts.
Copyright: belchonock / 123RF Stock Photo